Monday, April 11, 2011

Why Does My Job or Lack There Of Define Me?

Why does my day job define me as a person? I am struggling with this because last week I got laid off.

All my life I have worked to be "someone" and my job I had helped define me. It was an 8:30-5, Monday-Friday grownup job that I could tell people about when they said, "tell me about you" I could tell them all about the responsibilities and hardships and people I worked with and it made me feel important...Now what?
I would like to have alot more to say about me when people ask, because in the famous words of Tyler Durdan "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world"

So from this point on, I will (when I get a new job) not use my job to define me. I am alot more then a stupid job in a stupid office, dealing with stupid customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment